Well where should I start for my first blog on The Romance Reviews?
How about from the very beginning with 13 simple steps I followed to publication. I believe they helped me with the journey to my debut novel— TAKING BACK HIS WIDOW.
I always found it interesting as a reader and a writer how authors found their way and so I decided why not share something of mine.
1. Finish your MS- If you write every day, you will get better at writing every day.
2. Edit- If it's boring to you, it's going to be boring to the reader.
3. Resist stereotypes in your writing and in real life.
4. Writers read, they read a lot. But try not to let it influence your true voice too much.
5. Make a list of all your favourite words, places, foods anything that you can use. Which leads me to the next rule.
6. Have a pad and pen with you ALL the time, even at your bedside table.
7. If you're at a flat point, have a bath, walk, read, dance and when your mind is fresh come back. If that doesn't work, try something new and refreshing.
8. There's not always a moral to a story. Sometimes, it is what it is.
9. Learn to tell both sides of the story. His, hers and the hidden truth.
10. Be proactive and get yourself out there. The internet has a vast amount of groups you can join. My motto 'google it'. That's how I found Romance Writers of Australia and through them, I found online and face to face groups and a massive amount of knowledge that's helped me.
11. Ask yourself, what is your goal? E-books, bookshelf at Big W, even Womans Weekly mag. Whatever it is, research your market. If you want HQN or Allen & Unwin, then read and enter their competitions and the same goes for all the other publishers. Check out forums and don't be afraid to ask questions.
12. When your MS is glowing from all your polishing— Send it. It's no good sitting in your hard drive or under your bed like a dirty porn mag. Lol.
13. This one is one of the most important of all, if rejected— DON'T GIVE UP! Keep writing and take note of the feedback and learn from it.
So now I think I'll give you a sneak peak at TAKING BACK HIS WIDOW.
Eternal Press 7th February 2011
She tried to say his name.
The words were there—Dean Stone. Only her throat restricted the sound.
"I knew it was you," he said.
She wasn't sure, but she thought she heard a hint of triumph or possibly accusation in his tone.
"It's been a long time, Livinia."
"Dean." It came out in a whisper and more like a question than a statement. After all this time, why is he here?
There was something tugging at her mind, something important she knew she should be more worried about than anything else, but her mind wouldn't cooperate. Before she could decipher what was so important, Dean's voice invaded the fog.
"Is that all you have to say to me?"
The dark, challenging look in his eyes made the blood simmer within her veins. Even in the dim light of the station's security lights, she found herself glued to his vivid brown eyes. Once upon a time, she would have bathed in their brilliant depths with love and passion, lured like a deer to headlights. Now, sadly and dangerously, was no different.
Oooh, I hope that got you intrigued. To buy a copy of Taking Back His Widow just follow the links on my website www.kerri-willams.com
I want to say Thank you to The Romance Reviews and the team for having me here today and to Eternal Press for believing in my work.
Happy reading and writing to you all.
Check out Kez's featured book interview of TAKING BACK HIS WIDOW here. She's giving a giveaway to one awesome commentor.