Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Dark Side: Christa Paige

The Dark Side aims to shed light on that deep, dark, mysterious side of an author, a face that she rarely, if ever, shows to the public. What secret is she hiding behind that enigmatic smile on her official photo (if any)? what juicy tidbit is she keeping from the world? What are some of the things that she liked, things we would never know, because it's not part of her bio?

Today, we have with us CHRISTA PAIGE, author of STAR SPANGLED KISS, who regaled us in a previous post with some fun facts about her book and an exclusive excerpt.

Remember, think dark, dark, dark...

What is the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you? 
The most embarrassing thing that happened to me is one I will never forget. Late one evening, I took our dogs on a walk at the park. Aisha, a black lab, and Bodie, a Rottweiler, were fairly obedient dogs and I often let them run around off-leash. When our walk had concluded, I gave them the command to go to my truck. Both dogs went at a dead-run down the hill and straight into my pick-up bed. A blink later, Bodie jumped right out again and high-tailed it across the parking lot…straight into a dog-obedience class! She began fighting with the other dogs, got right up into one’s face and went for the throat. Mortified, I tried to get her away and physically drag her back to my truck. As I was hauling her naughty butt from the class, I heard the obedience coach say, “This is why dogs need to be taught how to obey commands.” I never took the dogs back to that park again and my embarrassment has lasted nearly 20 years.

Please share one deep, dark secret from your childhood/young adulthood. 
A deep dark secret from my childhood happened when I was in pre-kindergarten. For some reason, I really did not want to go to school that day. Before the whistle blew and all the students were required to line up, I found my way to the gate. Sliding through the bars, I snuck into the parking lot. There, I leaned against the building, tipped my head up to the sky, and began to pray. I begged God to send me an angel. I told Him that I could sit on the angel’s back while it flew me home. I must have been outside for quite a while, pleading with God to just allow any one of his angelic chorus to fly on down to retrieve me, but nothing happened. I simply stood there, expecting for some mighty, winged angel to pop in front of me and say, “Climb on board.” At some point, a teacher found me and made me go to class. I wondered every day, for a very long while, if I’d missed that angel’s arrival when the teacher forced me back into the classroom. 

What is the one thing fans wouldn’t know about you unless you tell them? 
One thing fans wouldn’t know about me is that I used to be a competitive figure and pair ice skater. I trained at the same ice rink and with the same coaches as the 1984 Olympians.


How did you overcome a particular dark time in your life? 
A particular dark time in my life came three months before my wedding in 1996. I was diagnosed with an incurable illness and was facing a disability. Then, to my horror, the medications they gave me made me gain weight. I was terrified my wedding gown wouldn’t fit. Probably an irrational thought there but it weighed heavily on my mind. Overcoming the emotional strain became my sole priority. Being 23 years old and on the cusp of a marriage, I realized I couldn’t spend the rest of my years allowing my pain to run roughshod over everything I had to look forward to. One morning, I got up and made the choice to deal with the cards I’d been dealt. It was the right step for me to take.


Who helped you overcome a particular dark time in your life? 
I credit my family and fiancĂ© for never allowing me to give up. Through their love, strength and encouragement, I learned that the condition was only a small part of me; I had so much more to live for. That was fifteen years ago and I am thankful everyday that I didn’t allow my illness to take away all the wonderful moments of joy I’ve experienced from the wedding, (yes, the dress fit), to having children, teaching autistic students, and becoming an author. I will admit that ice cream, In-N-Out cheeseburgers and barbeque potato chips did quell some of the initial emotional stress, at least temporarily (and probably contributed to the weight gain. I’m a terrible example of how to cope!). However, a strong religious faith, parents who insisted I fight, and the determination I’d beat the illness were instrumental in helping me overcome that dark moment of diagnosis. Oh, and hubby got me a puppy. That little Rat Terrier required my care and attention. Because he needed me, I was able to put aside my own issues so I could see to him. He is 15 years old now and still kicking. Just like me. 

Lightning Round 

White or dark chocolate : I’m allergic to both but the white always looks tantalizing.
Milk or coffee : COFFEE
Night or Day : Day
Coke or 7-up : 7-up
New York cheesecake or black forest cake : Due to allergy to the chocolate, cheesecake
Vampire or werewolf : Since I write a series with vamps, I’m bound by the Muse Code of Conduct to prefer them.
Football game or candlelit dinner : I can’t have them together at the same time? Candlelit dinner, then.
Ebook or print : Yikes, this one is a bit tricky. Ereaders rock, so I’d go digital.
Spring or autumn : I live in Southern California, these seasons are the same. Twisting my arm, autumn.
Sweet or Salty : Sweet!
Kitten or puppy : Puppy...no, kitten...no, puppy. Puppy.
Cook or take-out : Cook


Christa Paige's STAR SPANGLED KISS is now available at Liquid Silver Books (ebook). This title is also included in the list of giveaways for our ongoing contest.

Christa Paige's other titles: 
Bound by Rebellion

4 comments:

Sara said...

Hey, Christa. I'm glad you got the love and support of your family and fiance during that dark time in your life. I really don't know what I'd do without the support of mine as well.

aromagik said...

Is it terrible that your dog obedience story make me chuckle? I would have been mortified, too... ;)

Carol L. said...

I'd probably still be mortified twenty years later with the dog incident. lol And an obedience class to boot. :)
Glad you were surrounded by love and support trough a trying time.
Carol L.
Lucky4750@aol.com

Darlyn said...

I hate kindergarten as nobody likes me. I wore braces and the kids called me so many names.But it kinds of funny to think about it now ;p

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...