Monday, August 17, 2009

REVIEW: Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews



Series: Kate Daniels series
(c) 2007, ACE Fantasy, Penguin Group
260 pages, Mass-Market Edition
Author's Website

Summary:

Kate Daniels was devastated by the death of her guardian, knight-diviner Greg Feldman, and sought to unravel the mystery of his murder. Her investigation led her into the midst of the People (vampires) and the Pack (shapechangers), and it became clear that someone was trying to stir up trouble between these two groups of creatures and Kate may be caught in the middle of it all.

Review:

People who have been following my blog know that I want to read Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series because I was impressed with her novella Silent Blade. (Incidentally, Ilona Andrews is a husband and wife writing team.) Suffice it to say, I wasn't disappointed with Magic Bites.

Though the story started out slow (for me, as I had a hard time getting into the story initially), I was soon caught up in this richly-detailed world that Kate Daniels inhabited, which was a curious blend of science and magic. However, since the story opened with a vamp in Kate's home, the action-filled sequences were never-ending, and terminologies like residual magic, feylanterns, etc lend a certain authenticity to the story, thereby creating a believable world where a suspension of disbelief on the part of the readers is easily maintained.

Kate Daniels is a likeable, spunky heroine who faces life head on. Though she's a strong woman powerful in magic, she also has moments of vulnerability, like being afraid and being down on her luck at times, that causes me to sympathize with her, as I have been there before. However, she's also a woman running from something, and the author has shrouded her identity with a mystery that aroused my curiosity. I think Kate knows who she is, as in she knows whose blood runs in her veins, but the author doesn't reveal it to us, while giving us tantalizing hints as to what she could be. And I'm a sucker for secrets, so suffice it to say, I'll be following this series.

There's no overt romance in this series, although there's an almost-romance with a non-hero, but I thought Kate's hero might ultimately be Curran, who's the Beast Lord. Yup, the Lord of the Free Beasts, the King of the Shapechangers. He certainly fit the descriptions of what a hero should be--a true alpha male--plus he and Kate have these flirty conversations and they set each other on edge, so I bet we'll see more of Curran in the later books. (There are six more of them, not counting novellas.)

At 200 over pages, it's a short read as the pages flew by, with the author really catching my imagination and interest, even though the heroine wasn't engaged in a romance.

Book Rating: 4 stars

4 comments:

Mandi said...

Love this series..in my opinion, book two and three are the best!

Leontine said...

I'm really looking forward to sinking my teeth in this series. With 260 pages (or so the book info says) it sounds like they did a good set up for the series ;D

Silver said...

Hi Mandi, I should get on with it then. I read there's book four coming "Magic Bleeds".

Silver said...

Yup, Leontine, they did. You could almost believe Kate Daniels' world really existed. That's how good the writing was. Is. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...