Monday, May 30, 2011

Bad Boy or Gallant Hero? by Mary Abshire



Hello and thank you for stopping by to read my guest post. Do you prefer romances with bad boys or do you like to read about noble heroes?

It's a difficult question to answer, at least for me. I enjoy reading paranormal romance and urban fantasy books with both. When I started writing my Soul Catcher series, I decided to have both. Why? Not because I couldn't decide on one or the other. The big reason to have both was for the added conflict. I like conflict.

In my Soul Catcher series, I have a naughty demon, Jeremy. The word "demon" describes him best. He's a troublemaker, selfish, sneaky, and very blunt. Don't get the wrong idea about him--he has his funny moments, which comes from him being direct. On the outside, he's a mean dude you don't want to mess with. Inside, he hides his feelings, but you get a sense that he really does have a heart and compassion. On top of all that, he knows what he wants (my protagonist) and what he needs to do to get what he wants.

Yes, there is a lot of conflict. And I add more.

Enter the noble vampire, Drake. He's the sweet, handsome, charming man every woman wants. He saves lives instead of taking them. He shows his emotions. He cares deeply. His heart doesn't beat, but it feels. He longs for the right woman. And he finds her. He has to work hard to claim her, and when he does . . . let the sparks fly.

Do I have a preference of one or the other? No. But I can say this, Jeremy is a much easier character to write about. Not sure why, but he just comes to life when I write about him. And he is so much fun because he is the troublemaker. I'm not saying my noble vamp isn't enjoyable to write about. Oh, heck no. When he walks in, he steals my heart.

So which do you prefer? Or are you like me, you enjoy both types of men in stories?

Contact me at:

Check out the interview of CATCHING AN EVIL TAIL at The Romance Reviews

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...