Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Reason I Choose Romance by Kinley Baker


We live in an amazingly connected world where we have instant access to millions of books. It’s the perfect time to be an avid reader. I’m a firm believer that if you don’t like reading, you’re not reading the right genre. Whether it’s a nonfiction book by The Rock, to a terrifying Stephen King novel, to a classically romantic tale by Charlotte Brontë, there are so many choices and opportunities, there is something for everyone. Each reader just needs to find their perfect match.

With that said, I choose romance. I love this genre. Since the first Nora Roberts book I picked up at thirteen years old, I’ve been hooked. That’s not to say I haven’t read other genres. All through high school and college, I read the classics and more recent literary works. But now that I’m older and I get to make choices for myself, my first choice will always proudly be a romance.

I love the tug and pull of the characters’ emotions. I love depending on the happy ending. I love when things seem impossible and I’m on the edge of my seat wondering how this couple will survive because they must! I thoroughly believe in happy endings and often sought comfort in romances when I doubted my own.

Romances are a positive, good thing. Men and women romance writers want to give power to heroines and heroes by showing the value of positive relationships. Relationships where two people are treated as equals. Relationships where two people are better for being with each other. Relationships where two people are genuinely happy.

People fascinate me and what makes a partnership work between two people intrigues me even more. I choose romance because I find value in the ever after. I want to laugh and cry and feel for their explosive and confusing emotions.

Fantasy is another favorite. Leaving reality behind for a story makes me thankful for the escape. Magic and superpowers captivate me. So it’s logical I began to write fantasy romance. This genre, along with paranormal romance is usually my first preference. But sometimes I become ensnared in category romances, contemporaries or action adventures.

My first choice is romance. Everything else is secondary. Love stories always make compelling reads, and as a reader I’m thankful for the wide spectrum of amazing stories available today written by wonderful, talented authors. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with choosing a little romance.

What do you choose to read?


BIO

Kinley Baker read her first romance novel at the age of thirteen and immediately fell in love with the hero and the genre. She lives with her husband and her dog, Joker, in the Pacific Northwest. She is the author of the fantasy romance series, Shadowed Love. Book one, Ruined, released in July 2011 from Crescent Moon Press. As a firm supporter of all supernatural lifestyles, she writes fantasy romance, paranormal romance, and urban fantasy. You can find Kinley at www.kinleybaker.com or on Twitter at www.twitter.com/kinleybaker.

Please visit my blog for multiple contest opportunities in the next month at http://authorkinleybaker.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...